Saturday, June 12, 2010

ok so i ignored this for a hot minute. so sue me.


Hello! I almost forgot about this blog in midst of some exciting activist activities. But alas, I am back.

What have I been up to?

Great question. I have been refocusing my research efforts on a focus I have long wanted to explore: the history of women and bikes! You may ask, that history must already be written, no? In some ways, yes it is written. But it is written in bits and pieces here and there. Some snuggled within volumes of Susan B. Anthony’s papers, some in very specific articles such as advertising to female cyclists and the feminist rhetoric of bicycling in the 1890s. My goal is to find almost everything written about the history of women and bikes and turn it into a rather epic literature review.

How are you defining the history of women and bikes?

Wow, another great question. Right now I am most interested in the 1890s. I am interested in that specific decade because that is when bicycles became mass produced. Moral, medical, and patriarchal panic over women cyclists also became mass produced at that time. Simultaneously feminists such as Anthony and E. Cady Stanton started making some fierce comments about how awesome the bike was for women. Finally, a way to get out of those corsets and away from the confines of their stifling husbands. I love it. I am afraid not much is written about women and bikes after the 1890s, but that will be a fear I will conquer after looking at all the literature written in and about the 1890s.

What kind of literature are you looking at?

Who wrote these questions? They are so perfect for this blog post. Anyway, I am really excited about this long list of NY Times articles I mined in 19th century databases on women and bikes. I also am looking at the work of actual women who rode bikes in the 1890s. I am thinking of privileging their voices rather than all the lit written by male doctors and advertisers that were jerks to women. Hell, even some women cyclists were weary of women taking up the bicycle, so we will for sure get a good sense of the attitudes around gendered cycling just from them. Although for some reason none of the women seem to be screaming over the threat of masturbation while cycling that so many doctors were freaking out over. So weird…It’s like they don’t mind the possibility of pleasure while riding. Oh, and for the record, most women I know complain about saddle sores before they ever even mention the pleasure a hard bike seat up against one’s crotch.

How are you going to organize your historical findings?

This question is not good. Who wrote this one? I cannot answer this. I am not sure yet. I have never done a historical piece before, so I really need some help organizing all my findings. That is what an advisor is for, thank goodness. And my advisor rocks. An unapologetic feminist. And vegan friendly! Who could ask for more?

Where do you expel such brilliance?

That’s better. I got myself a lil’ research carrel in the library that I hide away in. On Friday I worked feverishly for like three hours straight. So it is working out fine thus far. The librarians have been most helpful. I am still avoiding the microfilm area. We’ll get there.

That’s it for now. Come back soon and I’ll tell you all about the sexist newspaper articles I find!

P.S. I just got asked to review One Less Car. Score.

No comments:

Post a Comment