Wednesday, June 16, 2010

i'll have one pair of emancipation pants, please


In midst of digging through articles written about women and bikes in the 1890s, there is a recurring theme of women and dress. People were not too keen on women ditching the skirt for pants, such as the always stylish bloomers. And feminists were shooting back talking all about freedom-through-pants. And many women even asked for hip pockets to be added to their bloomers for their revolvers. Kick ass. Fear of assault? Carry a gun. While biking. In bloomers.

screw you, stupid husband. i have a gun and bloomers.

Bloomers, in their 1890s construction, are actually hard to find now-a-days. But variations are available.

And my dumb ass went and searched "bloomers" on etsy. I mean, c'mon, they had me at "emancipation." Sure I am emancipated enough, but I want to wear my emancipation too! And my weird affinity with historically-significant clothing continues...

You see, when I was a restaurant manager I started collecting housewife aprons. It was an easy way to look dressed up without having to put much effort into my outfit. Most of which I found on etsy. My collection was well-known (even though I only have a handful), and one person even bought me an apron. And yeh, there is something to be said about a loud-mouthed feminist wearing a housewife apron. i think it's called "reappropriation." but i seriously didn't think too much about it.

Anyway now I am sitting here, avoiding my pile of New York Times articles from 1895 and trying to decide between these or these. All I need is some lace-up, worn-in brown boots and you got me an outfit. i guess i need a shirt too. i'll figure that out tomorrow.

Stupid research grant...

2 comments:

  1. Come on! Obviously you should go with http://bit.ly/9y15PN

    I can't wait to see where this summer takes you:)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely the red ones. Sassy, retro and still modern!

    ReplyDelete